Many people in the UK are struggling with the rising cost of energy and living. Thankfully, the UK government has created the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme to help vulnerable households upgrade their heating systems and improve the energy efficiency of their homes and properties.
If you receive government benefits, you may qualify for the boiler replacement grant in 2023 and be eligible to receive a free boiler. For those eligible, receiving the ECO4 boiler replacement grant in 2023 can go a long way to help keep the cost of installing a new boiler down and help ensure your home environment is comfortable.
Determining eligibility is the first step. After confirming your eligibility, we can determine which type of boiler replacement grant is available to best suit your needs.
Determining Eligibility for a 2023 Boiler Replacement Grant
The main goals of the ECO4 Scheme are to address the following issues:
- Improving the energy efficiency for UK homes
- Reducing fuel poverty for vulnerable populations and people
- Making energy and heating more affordable
Navigating the complexities of applying for the boiler replacement grant may feel overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. Simply Eco has helped many people determine if they can receive the free boiler replacement grant scheme in 2023 to make home improvements, including underfloor insulation and boiler replacements.
To qualify for a boiler replacement grant, you must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be the property owner
- The current boiler in use on the property needs to be at least eight years old
- The property needs to be connected to the main gas supply
- Applicants must be receiving a qualifying benefit
Qualifying Benefits Required to Be Eligible for a Boiler Replacement Grant
For many households, using government benefits means the difference between being able to survive and staying warm or being hungry and cold. Inefficient boilers are expensive to run and maintain and inefficiently heat homes, which causes energy bills to rise dramatically.
You may qualify for the boiler replacement grant if you receive any of the following government benefits, including:
- Income support (IS)
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Income-related Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
- Pension Credit Guarantee
- Universal Credit (UC)
- Child Tax Credit (CTC)
- Working Tax Credit (WTC)
- Housing Benefit, which is a new government benefit that qualifies people for the ECO4 scheme
- Pension Credit Savings is a new benefit that helps people become eligible for the ECO4 scheme
Your Energy Performance Certificate or EPC rating will determine whether or not your application is approved. Your property must have an EPC rating of D, E, F, or G for you to be eligible for the boiler replacement grant and ECO4 scheme. Over time, the requirements to qualify may change.
Income Thresholds for Child Benefit Applications
For a property owner to qualify for the ECO grant and receive a new boiler, you will need to meet the following income thresholds.
- One child – £19,900
- Two children – £24,800
- Three children – £29,600
- Four or more children – £34,500
Claiming as a Couple
- One child – £27,500
- Two children – £32,300
- Three children – £37,200
- Four children or more – £42,000
Alternative ‘Free’ Boiler Schemes
Households not eligible for the ECO4 scheme may qualify for one of the other free boiler schemes: the Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS), and the LA Flex Scheme.
BUS Upgrade Scheme
The BUS initiative was designed to help decarbonise non-domestic buildings and homes in England or Wales. It gives the installer the capital grant, which allows them to discount the installation for the property owners.
Installers working with eligible owners can submit applications for the following:
- £5,000 for a reduction on the labour and supply costs of fitting an air source heat pump
- £5,000 for a reduction in the labour and supply costs of providing a biomass boiler
- £6,000 for a reduction on the labour and supply costs of fitting a ground source heat pump, including water source heat pumps
You must also live in England or Wales and must own the property. Unfortunately, renters do not qualify for the BUS scheme.
LA Flex Scheme
Households who struggle to make enough money to make ends meet but do not qualify for government benefits or meet the requirements for the ECO4 scheme may still be eligible under the Local Authority Eligibility Flexibility, known as LA Flex.
Eligibility for the LA Flex scheme requirements include the following:
- Having a household income of £31,000 or less;
- The household lives in fuel poverty, for example, if the household heating costs are 10% or more of the household income;
- The household meets other net earning requirements, such as low income or those with specific disabilities
- NHS referrals along side the qualifying health conditions
Energy Companies Participating in the Free Boiler Scheme
The boiler replacement grant and ECO funding scheme are a joint effort between the government and energy companies. Below are the energy companies that are currently operating the scheme.
- Avro Energy
- Bristol Energy
- British Gas
- Co-Operative Energy
- Economy Energy
- EDF Energy
- Extra Energy
- Flow Energy
- Green Network
- Green Star
- Octopus Energy
- Ovo Energy
- Pure Planet
- Scottish and Southern energy
- Scottish Power
- Shell Energy
- So Energy
- Spark energy
- Utility Warehouse
Other improvements that the scheme also helps with include home energy efficiency upgrades and repair costs, which can include adding insulation to cavity walls or lofts and installing underfloor insulation.
For Help Determining if You Are Eligible for a Boiler Replacement Grant, Contact Simply Eco Ltd.
Many households in the UK are eligible for the boiler replacement grant in 2023 under one of the various programs. Replacing an outdated or broken boiler will benefit your household significantly and save you money.
Simply ECO Ltd. assists people in the Midlands and surrounding regions from fuel poverty to access energy efficiency and carbon-saving measures for their homes. We are the largest installer of boilers in Birmingham and the surrounding areas, and we would love to help you!
Contact us today if you’re considering upgrading your boiler.